You can help Overcomers Outreach Ministries Inc. (Overcomers Ministries) in as many ways as we serve Native Americans. The following is a list of our services and the ways in which you can get involved either as an individual or as part of a group of volunteers.
Outreach / Evangelism
Evangelistic Outreach Services
Overcomers Ministries conducts several community outreaches and events throughout the year.
Event Example: Annual New Years Sobriety Celebration at Minneapolis American Indian Center
Volunteer opportunities include the following:
- Plan and manage event logistics.
- Perform evangelism follow-up tasks – these vary according to the type of event.
Detox Chaplaincy (Minneapolis)
The Hennepin County Detox Center is located at 1800 Chicago Avenue Minneapolis. Volunteers are needed to provide counseling.
- Volunteers are needed to provide counseling.
Note: Volunteering at the Detox facility requires a background-check and orientation to detox guidelines and a willingness to commit for up to one year.
Short–Term Mission Trips
An example would be a short-term mission trip to Mishkeegogamang First Nations Reserve, Ontario, Canada
Note: Individuals on short-term mission trips are required to raise their own expenses.
Opportunities to volunteer on short-term missions trips include:
- Vacation Bible School organizers / helpers
- Individuals with family counseling experience
- Follow-up through correspondence
- Prayer intercessors
- Musicians for praise and worship
Overcomers Ministries Family Camp
Family Camp is a five-day event held in late June / early July 25 Miles north of Bemidji, Minnesota (about two hours north of the Twin Cities). Volunteers attend an orientation session.
Opportunities to volunteer include:
- Assist with fund raising efforts / recruit sponsors for families
- Transportation: Drivers for two vans during camp
- Experienced youth workers / life guards & counselors / Child care
- Bible teachers
- Nursing or medical trained personnel
- Graphics person for advertising and camp brochures
- Experienced Kitchen staff for meal preparation for large group
- Food donations
- Post Family camp follow-up and discipleship (Twin Cities area)
- Prayer intercessors
Volunteers are needed to provide childcare for clients on special events.
First Nations Recovery Center
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Friendship ministry or mentorship with clients
- Provide client transportation to and from the First Nations Recovery Center
- Child care for clients on special events
- Assistance in office administration
Faith-Based Curriculum (Life Recovery In Christ)
Volunteers are required to possess required knowledge of the Bible.
- Help class participants understand Bible topics that are taught.
- Provide follow-up and encouragement to class participants
- Assist in marketing the Life Recovery In Christ Training to the Native Community
Comprehensive Support Services
Volunteer opportunities will likely include the following:
- Provide clients with transportation to sessions, as needed
- Provide childcare for the children of those being mentored, as needed
- Coordinators / organizers for a women mentor program
- Assist with fund raising activities to launch the program
Overcomers Ministries owns a small office building at 2020 Bloomington Avenue South and ‘On Eagles Wings’ apartments at 1911 11th Avenue South (Minneapolis) for individuals in recovery.
Volunteer opportunities are related the need for a skilled maintenance person to perform fix-up jobs. It would be ideal for the volunteer to have heating and air conditioning knowledge.